Thursday, January 12, 2012

Jan.12, 2012

"It is not a man's duty, as a matter of course, to devote himself to the eradication of any, even the most enormous wrong; he may still properly have other concerns to engage him; but it is his duty, at least, to wash his hands of it, and, if he gives it no thought longer, not to give it practically his support. If I devote myself to other pursuits and contemplations, I must first see, at least, that I do not pursue them sitting upon another man's shoulders. I must first get off him first, that he may pursue his contemplations too. See what gross inconsistency is tolerated. Let your life be a counter friction to stop the machine. What I have to do is to see, at any rate, that I do not lend myself to the wrong that I condemn." Henry David Thoreau (Civil Disobedience)

No comments: